Friday, April 20, 2012

Dinner guests #HAWMC

The table was set for the six of us. Nothing fancy, just simple and ready for a group of people that are close to my heart and have been nothing but amazing in my life. To just choose five was the tough part. First one to come to mind was my Mom, of course. She has been my biggest supporter in my life and one of my best friends. I can call her anytime with any problem, big or small. She helps me figure out things in life with which I struggle. Secondly, I called upon a former boss, Carol, who has been supportive and encouraging throughout my career. She has been an amazing reference since working for her. With a laugh that carries as far as my Mom's,  I had to keep the evening good and lighthearted. Next up came a bit of a choice as to who would be the third. Two other women I strongly admire and love came to mind: my grandmothers. Grammy, although a distance away, has been very important in my life, whether she knows it or not. She has gotten me out of some situations and I know she cares. Beyond that, I cherish our conversations and wish I could see her more often. Then there's Nannie, with whom I have memories going back into childhood. Sitting at the foot of her rocking chair and helping her split peas or spin yarn. I love her with all my heart and always admire the music she makes and the look on her face when she is happily playing her violin. So that makes 4, all ladies who I look up to. That left one more space. Hard to choose, sometimes, in life. I look back on my past and consider who I have in my life at present. There is one person my heart calls out to: my dad. Although distant at times and a man of few words, what words he does speak are very important to me. I want him to see the love and laughter I have around me and to be proud of who I am today.

The table was set and the six of us sat around it. The food from the kitchen smelled delicious, prepared by yours truly with the assistance of others. Bit of a pot luck and plenty of food to go around. Many conversations ensued and laughter filled the house. Everyone was nearly in tears by the end with stitches in their sides. After supper, a wonderfully delightful choice of deserts were served with a cup of coffee or tea. We all sat in the backyard and watched the dogs and cats play. Exchanging more stories and filling the air with joy. I'm sure my neighbours heard the laughter a few blocks away. At the end, we were sad to see it come to a conclusion. Hugs were exchanged and tears were held back. I hope to have this dinner again, I said. I hope to do this again real soon. Love you all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment