Thursday, April 19, 2012

#HAWMC Pick from a book

Now, on to business. Random phrase from a book

"Again, productivity comes down to an honest desire for change and to change. Once I committed to this, I started reaping the rewards - getting things done quickly and efficiently, knowing what I was going to work on when, with less anxiety and more time for myself." - Productivity for Librarians by Samantha Hines (2010)

I have not been terribly productive in getting this book read. I like the phrase that came out of this exercise. What is productivity? Anyone who has the pleasure of having to consult your health and how you are feeling before committing to something battles with this question. What productivity was before and what it is now are two different things. The worst thing to do is to compare the past to the present. Once you start doing that, the future is in jeopardy. Change is sometimes thrust upon us, rather than decided or desired. Change can be a thought process. For example, instead of going "damnit, I only got x, y, and z done today and I had a, b, and c to do as well". The thought is changed to, "yay, I got x, y, and z done today! I'll figure out when to do a, b, and c to get that done later as well". Going from negative to positive; I consider that a desirable change. I try to plan things out ahead of time. Like this weekend I was planning on doing more painting. But, my body has other ideas. Instead of being miserable about it, I am going to listen to my body and do other less strenous activities. I changed the plan to avoid more misery later. Going back to the change to positivity, I can see how that would create less anxiety simply because you end up beating yourself up a whole lot less! Instead of spending time grumbling and moaning, you get to relax with a cup of tea. I like that idea. Enjoy what you did get done, feel good about it, and relax with a cup of tea afterwards. I must remember to be more positive, more often, and consistently.


No comments:

Post a Comment